Monday, April 19, 2010

Striving for Greatness... changing the status quo... changing the world: Lessons from Mwende at Suvia Children's Home


I have discovered that service is paradoxical in its nature. Every time that I feel that God has laid it on my heart to go serve or help or change, I come back from the experience myself served, helped and changed. This is no exception with Suvia Children’s Home.

About two years ago, I was part of a team who helped build various parts of the home. When we left, it was still unfinished and there were no children. I returned to Kenya in 2009 for schooling and on my first break, I traveled back to Suvia to find it filled with 26 vibrant and loving girls! The next break I had, I knew I had to return again. This time I went to visit the girls, but also to interview them so that World Servants can prayfully get each one of them sponsored. Through this process, I was able to get past the usual visitor’s songs and poems to learn a little bit about each girl with their own voice: their own story.

One such story was that of Mwende. I don’t know all of the details, but what I do know has changed my life. Mwende is one of the older girls at Suvia. She is a born leader and inspires us all to reach for greatness! Mwende’s parents and grandparents are no longer in her life through various circumstances. She was left in her early teens to take care of her younger siblings. There came a point when it was too much for her; she didn’t know how to be a mom- she tried to take her own life. Thank God that attempt failed because today she is a beacon of light to everyone she sees. She is determined to one day become the President of Kenya. I believe that that can happen and, more importantly, so does she!

The thing is that our world is made up of individuals, but it is also made of systems. It is important for an individual to have a dream, a drive, and natural abilities. If we work hard, we should be able to achieve our goals. But that is not always true. Many people get stuck in a system that does not allow them to reach their goals. Many people do not have the opportunities that others might have for many reasons.

So, I have begun to think (I know, a dangerous thing!) and I have not come up with a solution to all the world’s systemic issues and injustices. But I am thinking; I am challenging myself to not be okay with the status quo, but to strive for greatness- just like Mwende. I want bright, God-fearing, leaders like the girls at Suvia to not only reach their goals, but to change the world! So how does that happen? I am thinking about it… are you?

How can we each use our abilities and resources to change the world for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment